Chapora fort is one of the important destinations in Goa. Did you know? Bollywood movie ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ shooting was played in Chapora Fort only and few others Bollywood movies and songs shooting have occurred there. This is a very popular tourist destination and one of the best visiting places in Goa as well as a historic place also.
Chapora fort is situated above the Chapora River and it was first established in the year of 1683 and it was built by Muslim ruler Adil Shah called Shahpura. Portuguese altered his name to Chapora. Then this fort destroyed several times and rebuilt again. The last fort which is standing now established on 17117 by Maharaja of Sawantwadi, the fort fell to the Marathas in the year of 1739. There is a church inside of the fort which is dedicated to St. Anthony, it has now disappeared and inside only a few signs of the barracks exist and housing that once filled this vast area.
Visiting Hour and Entry Fee of Chapora Fort
- We can visit Chapora fort between 9.30 AM to 5.30 PM.
- No entry fee is there to enter the fort.
- It will take 2 hours to visit the whole are.
Location wise Chapora Fort is beautiful and from here the view of Vagator Beach is very eye-catching and tourists can take exquisite photographs from here. This fort is in North Goa. After the movie ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ released, this fort got noticed by tourists and this fort now is known at the movie name also.
How to Reach?
- From Mumbai, it takes around 12 hours to reach Vasco Da Gama Station by train.
- Then from Vasco Da Gama Station, you can take Bus for Panjim. It takes around 1 hour to reach Panjim from there.
- From Panjim, you can get Bus to Calangute Beach. It takes around 1 hour to reach there.
- Then from Calangute, you can take buses to Baga Beach. It takes around 30 minutes.
- From Baga Beach in Goa, we can reach Chapora Fort within 25 mins by cars. It is around 9 km far from Baga Beach.
You can take a car from Vasco Da Gama Station to Chapora Fort. It takes around 1 hour 15 minutes and the distance is 42.5 KM.