Kolkata, the place classifies its own history. This city is one of the large and popular cities in India. It is the capital of West Bengal. Kolkata was known as Calcutta before 2001. The change of the name has been announced by Buddhadev Bhattacharya, the Chief Minister of West Bengal in 2001.
Kolkata is known as the City Of Joy. The city was established on August 24, 1686. Job Charnock who was famous as the founder of Calcutta. He came to Sutanuti as a representative of East India Company to establish a factory. He formed Calcutta by the three villages named Kalikata, Gobindapur, and Sutanuti at that time. It creates as a result of the expansion plans of the British Empire.
This historic city is also a metropolitan city and the population of this city is 15,323,911 in 2019. The geographical area of this city is around 205 km². Within this vast area, we can spend a memorable time with our family and friends.
Few amusing facts about Kolkata
- Kolkata port (which is known as Khidirpur Dock) is the oldest port in India
- Eden Garden is the third-largest stadium in the World
- 250 years old Banyan Tree we can only find near Kolkata
- The Science City is the largest science center in India
- Tram network is there only in Kolkata
- Kolkata Metro is the first metro station in India
- The Royal Calcutta Golf club is first golf club in India
- Salt Lake Stadium is the second-largest stadium in World
- Alipore Zoo is the oldest zoological garden in India
- The Howrah Bridge is one of the long cantilever bridge in India
Visiting places in Kolkata are as below